Sunday 30 March 2014

Vipassana helped CS topper Sneha focus

A First Class student throughout, Sneha recently completed B.Com at Lucknow University. Aiming to make a career in the banking sector, Sneha shares that she cracked the CS Finals in her first attempt using strategy and time management. Regular study is the key to success, maintains Sneha who practices Vipassana, a form of meditation, which helped her to focus.

FAST FACTS
Name: Sneha Singh   
Exam: CS Professional Programme (June 2011)
Rank: AIR third
Score: 479/800
Subjects if interest: Company Secretarial Practice; Financial Treasury & Forex Management
Date of Birth: September 8, 1987 
Father: R. P. Singh (Manager, in General Insurance Company); Mother: Poonam Singh (LLM)
Schooling: St. Fidelis College, Lucknow

Course review: How to become CS

Q. How was the news of your success broken to you?
A. By a friend on Facebook. Then I checked my result on ICSI website. I was content with passing all groups with decent marks. I wasn’t expecting a rank! It was one of my life’s greatest moments.

Q. When did you decide to take up CS? 
A.After completing graduation, alongside Chartered Accountancy course, I  decided to take up CS.

Q. Please tell us about life as a student
A.I was an all rounder till Class 12. I participated in debates, quizzes, sports and various other competitions at both district and state level. I had a rich co-curricular exposure. After Class 12 I channelised all my energies into studies for CA and CS. Life has been a mixed bag of struggle and success as a student; I do what I love and love what I do.

Q. Please tell us about articleship and future career planning ?
A.I have done my CA. articleship and will apply for exemption from training after three years in job. Now, I will be joining Bank of Baroda as a  Manager (finance). I am looking forward to work with the bank in a corporate   Banking profile. I am moving to Mumbai for the same job. I was selected through campus placements.

Q. How important do you think training is to become a competent CS?
A.Training is extremely important; application of theoretical knowledge to practice gives an overall picture and a command over the subject.

Q. What was your strategy for the exam?
A.I stuck to the modules provided by ICSI on daily basis, and I also practiced with previous years papers. I marked the relevant portion in the books using the scanners (collection of previous years papers), and studied the weightage of chapters and worked accordingly. I gave special attention to how I presented the answers in both theory and practical papers.

Q. Did you take any guidance for preparation?
A.Yes, I took a lot of guidance from my immediate college seniors and teachers for the approach required for each subject, preparation time, organizing and planning.

Q. What is your perspective of coaching institutes?
A. Coaching institutes do provide an indepth knowledge on the subject under consideration. But please choose the coaching of renowned teachers, having expertise in core areas. Not the ones’ who are providing solution under one roof!

Q. What is the future of a CS in the country?
A. CS’ are the intelligent tools that corporates have to provide timely compliance with laws and cover grey areas. They have plethora of opportunities both in practice as well as job. With the onset of hundreds of acts, notifications and amendments, CS plays a serious role of a compliance officer. CS’ have a very bright future.

Q. How do you usually spend your time when not studying?
A.I hang out with my close friends and family, watch movies, listen to music, and practice Vipassana meditation.

Q. Your message to the future CS aspirants.
A. My serious request to all CS aspirants is please give all modules at one go. It is not as not as difficult as it seems. Organise your time. Plan and strategise. Ask solutions for problems, there is an answer for each one. Magnify your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 CS Ultimates